Thursday, August 4, 2011

The Floppy Disk Box and the New York Times

Each summer each of my daughters spend a week of quality one-on-one Grandma time with my Mother-In-Law. She always plans great activities and day trips. My kids LOVE their Grandma week.
This year my middle daughter, Faith, spent part of her week with Grandma searching for treasures at a Flee Market. Faith brought home several trinkets and presents for her sisters, Daddy and me. One of the treasure she purchased for me was this:

This small wooden box was designed to organize floppy disks. It even has a little floppy disk emblem attached to the front of the box. (My 8-year-old had never heard of a floppy disk) After this box had floated around my house for a few weeks without finding a good home, I was ready to sneak it into a bag of goodwill donations. After all, what was I going to do with a floppy disk box?
I decided I had better not throw it out without at least asking her what she thought I needed it for. I didn't want to hurt her easily bruised feelings. Her answer melted my heart.
"Mommy, I got you the box because after your books get published, you're going to need somewhere to keep all your fan letters."
Needless to say, I'm keeping the floppy disk box. Even if Faith's notes are the only fan letter it ever holds, it will forever remind me of my daughter's faith in me.

Faith, Trinity and Me
Last winter, my oldest daughter, Trinity, made my day when she asked if I would get her a subscription to the New York Times for her birthday. I thought it an odd request. I told her I thought there were other things she would probably enjoy more. "But Mom, I want to be the first one to know when you're books make the best sellers list."
If ever I feel discouraged, my little home-grown fan club is quick to boost my spirits and give me a reason to persevere. Thanks Girls. You never cease to make me smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment